Monday, June 27, 2011

Writing Challenge #12

Alive-est by Sam Davidson

Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. If we follow the truth, it will bring us out safe at last. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

When did you feel most alive recently? Where were you? What did you smell? What sights and sounds did you experience? Capture that moment on paper and recall that feeling. Then, when it’s time to create something, read your own words to reclaim a sense of being to motivate you to complete a task at hand.

~~~~~~~

A new friend lent me his bike for my stay in New Orleans. A massive beast that only a Shwinn can embody, this bike came complete with white wall tires, cushy seat, soda rack tied to the back, and handlebars fit for a second passenger. Now that I have lowered the seat to fit my height he is a dream to ride. Bouncing around the potholes in the quarter this weekend I was hit with a sense of being gloriously free. I couldn't help but smile and a laugh escaped me for no good reason. The smells around me were a mixture of southern food, gutter garbage, and salt water. I was surrounded by french-style architecture, sandwiched together; bright, shuttered, with each house as unique as a fingerprint.

I don't know if I can or want to capture that feeling all the time. It was pretty marvelous. However, I will treasure it and go back to that moment whenever I need to remember how incredibly amazing life can be.

No comments: